1st German lesson on Sat: YAY! I was so excited. :D Learning a new language is always so fun. :) But well, it was a family lesson, which meant my parents and sister are my classmates! :D D: Don't know if it's good or bad... Haha. 1st up, my dad, who doesn't take notes at all and just stares at the teacher, hardly getting anything (I know from the look in his eyes). 2nd, my mum, who's a crazy note-taker and pronounces every word really loudly (but wrongly) and quite attentive. 3rd, my sister, who takes quick notes in the textbook and looks on with keen eyes, every word that comes out of her mouth is nearly accurate, thus the teacher says 'Genau! (translated: right!)' to her a lot. 4th, me, the person who asks a lot of questions (until my mum actually finds me a bit irritating) taking neat notes in a huge notebook, linking the differences and similarities of German, English and French together. (This actually makes learning European languages a lot easier.)
Then we went to Lorrach, Germany, for another grocery-shopping trip, and of course spent quite a bit of euros over there. Small town, quite quiet and peaceful, lovely scenery... :)
Sunday: We got free passes to the Giacometti exhibition at Fondation Beyeler, Basel's famous museum! :D Took a look at the unique skinny bronze sculptures Alberto G. made, and Giovanno G.'s (AG's father) cool post-impressionist paintings and portraits. The museum grounds were really beautiful, corn fields by the side and a tranquil pond just outside. The paths and museum walls were made of red bricks, and it looked really beautiful in a cool summer setting. ;)
We returned home and after dinner, my sis and I decided to be hardworking students and took out our German books to revise and complete our homework. :D Our parents, not wanting to lose out, followed us to the dining table. The revision didn't go that well, because we spent about 20mins on the 1st page as my parents had pronunciation difficulties and my dad just kept forgetting what each line meant. IT'S JUST GREETINGS and he can't remember which is which. Tell him, he says oh okay, and doesn't even write the translation down!! D: Then he'll ask me again. OH NO. My mum, on the other hand, took lots of notes but can't seem to pronounce the 'z' and 'ch'... Sigh. It seems like my parents aren't doing a good job in setting a good example for their daughters. Well my sis and I had a great time laughing at them. I know we're horrible.
Eg. Austria is Osterreich in German, and my mum accidentally pronounced it as Ostrich. FUNNY OMG. No is Nein in German, and my dad keeps saying Nay. NO LOGIC GOSH... My dad doesn't seem to know that conjugation exists, and we learnt the conjugation of the verb 'to be' (Etre in French, Sein in German) in which he forgot.
You know my best study partner has to be my sister. We can correct each other, trusting that the other is right. And no stupid funny incidents happen. We both completed all our homework, 4 activities. :D My mum only managed to finish 1 and she was so drained. My dad was already too exhausted and drained to do any activity, so he chucked his book away. Sigh I hope we get to somewhere.
Hopefully I learn German well. No, in fact, I MUST. Sorry French, I'm leaving you in 2nd position for now.
The Enchanting Twilight
Labels: German, Germany, Giacometti
